The piano is possibly one of the most versatile instruments around. It can be used solo, in an ensemble, both in the rhythm section and lead section, and as a composition tool. Add to that the functionality added by modern keyboards and synthesizers, and you’ll never be hurting for a place to play.
Under The Sun Studios is proud to present private piano lessons. Our staff has been teaching in the Walnut Creek/Concord area since the beginning of the Millennium. Our patient, consistent, and well-planned approach will have you well on your way to playing the piano with very little muss and certainly no fuss. We want you to love music and understand how it works.
Check out what you get when you come to Under The Sun Studios.
- Well-thought out Beginning Curriculum – We’ve been teaching Under The Sun Studios’ piano curriculum since before there was an Under The Sun Studios. You’ll learn some melodies and chords and be able to play in almost any situation as soon as you can understand the way the piano works.
- Customized Goals and Progress Reports – When you study at Under The Sun Studios, you have more than an individual teacher at your disposal. The Studio Director, Head Instructor, Assistant Instructors, and Interns meet regularly to discuss each student’s progress individually. Not only that, but EVERY quarter, the Studio Director will meet with you to discuss your goals and design your personalized curriculum. This way, we can be assured that every student makes progress towards each of their own particular goals.
- Music Theory – You won’t get very far with your music without understanding how to communicate with other musicians. It’s much easier to understand musical examples or show someone else how to play your music, if you can properly read and write standard music notation. But, it doesn’t stop there, we teach about chords and functional harmony and how that all
- relates to modern music making.
- Play Outside of your Bedroom – Who wants to spend their time just playing along with recordings in their bedroom? After learning your first melodies and chords, we help you see why you put in that work. At Under The Sun Studios, we help you learn the tunes and then give you opportunities to play them live with your fellow musicians, with and without an audience.
- Improvisation – This isn’t the piano lesson from the little old lady down the street. Sure, we’ll teach you to read, but then we’ll take the roof off by teaching you to make up new melodies and solo over a group. THEN, we’ll give you the opportunity to show it off at our jam night, open mic night, or with our performance ensembles.
- Jazz Band? – Ready to do Jazz Band at your school? We have a special curriculum for you. Read the notes, learn the chord shapes and scales, and get ready to improvise over the changes. By the way, if your school doesn’t have a jazz band or if you can’t get enough jazzy seventh chord action, we have jazz performance ensembles here for you to play with too.
- Write Your Own Songs – We’ve helped a lot of local artists find their voice over the years and we want you to express yourself, too. Unlock your potential and tell the world what you want to say in song. We’ll get that catchy riff out of your head and onto the instrument and then teach you how to put it into a song that really shows your emotions. And, if that isn’t enough, we’ll give you a place to showcase it to the world at our Open Mic Night or on our performance stage.
- Access to Gear, Accessories, and Repairs - Under The Studios carries all the gear and accessories you need to
play in our music store! We have sheet music, metronomes, and a knowledgeable staff of salespeople and repair personnel for all of your retail music needs.